Round 5, Question Set 5
1. Why is Spike's neural chip finally removed? C. The chip was killing him. ("The Killed In Me," while Spike's soul contributed to the decision, the chip never would have been removed had it not been posing a physical threat to him.)
2. Who is the last person to refer to Giles as "Ripper"? B. Giles. ("Into the Woods," Giles says, "I hadn't seen it since my Ripper days.")
3. In which episode does Angel make his last appearance? C. "Chosen." (Angel's last appearance as a regular was in "Graduation Day.")
Demons, Monsters, & Big Bad Questions:
4. Who is the last named vampire who dies in the series? C. Spike. ("Chosen," Spike was all burninated and died--this was not a trick question.)
5. Drusilla's last kill in Sunnydale included: A. A couple at the Bronze. ("Crush," Dru killed a trainload of citizens at the beginning of that episode and the old man who got stuck in her teeth was from back in Season 2, "Becoming, Part 1.")
6. Who is the last demon (not vampire) Buffy kills? B. Lissa. ("First Date," Buffy slays Xander's demon date, Lissa.)
Hang Outs, Homes, & HQ Questions:
7. The Bronze is last seen in which episode? C. "Empty Places." (Faith takes the Potentials there to unwind.)
8. Spike smokes his last cigarette in which of the following places? A. Buffy's basement. ("Dirty Girls," Faith and Spike share a cigarette in Buffy's basement—which was mentioned in another recent question.)
9. In which episode is the Watcher's Council last seen? B. "Never Leave Me." (The Watcher's Council is valiantly seen exploding.)
Spells, Lore, & Watcher Training Questions:
10. Giles suggests that Watchers don’t investigate the deaths of their Slayers because it is: C. Painful. (“Fool For Love,” Buffy suggests that it is “unseemly” and Giles corrects her, telling her that it is painful.)
11. What is the English translation of the last phrase of the Ritual of Restoration, the spell to re-ensoul a vampire? B. "So shall it be.” (“Becoming, Part 1,” the phrase “The spell is ended” was used in “The Replacement” to reunite the two Xanders, and “Make it so,” is not from Buffy.)
12. What does one of the last spells Tara casts do? A. Unties Willow and Dawn's binds. (“Normal Again,” when Tara finds Willow, Dawn, and Xander bound, she uses a spell to release Willow and Dawn.)
13. The episode "Consequences," in which Faith assumes her role as The Mayor's newest lackey, features the final appearances of all but which of the following characters? A. Balthazar. (Balthazar was killed in “Bad Girls.” Faith slays Mr. Trick in this episode and after investigating the death of Deputy Mayor Allan Finch, Detective Jack Stein never again graces Buffy’s door step to accuse her of murder (Dect. Stein also investigated Ted’s and Kendra’s deaths.)
14. Which episode features the death of Maggie Walsh? A. "The I in Team." (This episode also features Adam’s first appearance as he is seen killing Walsh.)
15. What mental image does Anya use to override her fear of facing the Turok-Han, or "Uber-Vamps"? A. Bunnies. (“Chosen,” Andrew suggests thinking of happy things, like bunnies, but Anya finds a focus to her anger when thinking of floppy, hoppy bunnies.)
Wild Card Questions
16. How many times has Buffy died on screen? C. 4 times. (This question caused some confusion, because of that I am offering full credit for 4 times (the correct answer) and half-credit for 3 times. The 4 times Buffy died? "Prophecy Girl," she drowned. "The Wish," The Master killed her in the alternate universe. "The Prom," Angel dreams of Buffy being engulfed in flames. "The Gift," Buffy's sacrifice for Dawn. For those that counted the flatlining in "Villains," personally, I don't think that counts because when Willow entered, the electrical equipment started going wonky and I firmly believe that Willow wouldn't have been able to bring Buffy back had Buffy died by "human means." If someone wants to show me evidence of Joss Whedon saying she died, then I'll change my mind. Anyway, we came up with 4 other ones.)
17. As Jenny Calendar, Robia La Morte last shares screen time with which actor? B. Anthony Stewart Head. ("Passion," even though she's dead, Robia is still Jenny Calendar when Giles finds her in his bed.)
18. Over the course of the seven years of BtVS, the Mutant Enemy Monster has been altered a total of how many times? A. 6 times. ("Becoming, Part 2," he says "I need a hug." "Amends," he wears a Santa hat. "Graduation Day, Part 2," he wears a Graduation hat. "Once More With Feeling," he sings "grr argh." "Storyteller," he sings, "We are as gods." "Chosen," he looks at the audience.)
19. “A daughter's duty, I suppose” Joyce, “The Body” (Joyce’s last words delivered through flashback, spoken to Buffy.)
20. “Poor Spike... so lost. Even I can't help you now.” Drusilla, “Crush”
21. “Ooo! Alright. Put me out of my misery. You don't have the guts.“ Jesse, “The Harvest” (Jesse speaking to Xander.)
22. “Take all that away... and what's left?” Angelus, “Becoming Part 2” (The last lines Angelus speaks on Buffy, spoken to Buffy)
23. “We have a lot of work ahead of us.” Giles “Chosen” (Faith recommends pushing him into the carter formerly known as Sunnydale.)
24. “Watch your back.” Kendra, “Becoming, Part 1” (Kendra’s last words, spoken to Buffy)
Bonus: ”I’ve died twice.”
Besides Buffy, name as many characters as possible who we’ve seen die on screen more than once. Flashbacks and alternate dimensions count, dreams do not count.
One point for each character, 0.5 points for each correct episode.
I’m actually accepting more than I thought I would. Some are a little circumspect, IMO, but I felt generous.
Angel—“Becoming, Part 1,” “Becoming, Part 2,” “The Wish”
Willow—“The Wish,” “Dopplegangland”
Spike—"Fool For Love," "Chosen"
The Annointed One—“Never Kill a Boy on the First Date,” “School Hard” (technically we don’t see him die on screen in “Never Kill a Boy on the First Date” but it has been pointed out to me that not counting this would be nitpicky and insane)
Forrest—“Goodbye Iowa,” “Primeval”
Maggie Walsh—“The I in Team,” “Primeval” (while I believe a zombie is not the same character, Maggie retained her medical skills and could identify Riley, thus proving to me that she’s a cut above normal zombies)
Dracula—“Buffy Vs. Dracula” (I’m impressed by anyone who came up with this—and while maybe Drac didn’t actually “die,” I think it’s close enough to count.)
Sandy—“Dopplegangland,” “Shadow” (Sandy was sired by Vamp Willow and is the vampire who came on to and was killed by Riley)
Jesse—“Welcome to the Hellmouth,” “The Harvest”
Billy Fordham—“Lie to Me”
I am NOT counting
Caleb—a few people listed Caleb, but he doesn’t die twice, he just wasn’t totally taken out the first time.
Joyce—I don’t think Zombie Joyce in “Forever” was really Joyce. This may count more as my own personal opinion, but based on what we see in “Bargaining,” that a person killed by the natural order (or human means) cannot be resurrected, I don’t think Zombie Joyce was really Joyce.
Larry—Larry was not killed during “The Wish.”
Jonathan—Jonathan was not even in “The Wish.” ;)
Xander—We don’t see Xander or Willow vamped in “The Wish” so a vamping death doesn’t count for either. Also, while Xander does die in the dream in “Restless,” that is a dream and the rules clearly state that dreams don’t count.
The Master—The Master didn’t die in “The Wish”; he killed Buffy.
Nikki Wood—several people mentioned Nikki, but we only saw her die in “Fool For Love.” The flashback in “Lies My Parents Told Me” is before Spike kills her.
Katrina—while we did see Katrina did die twice in “Dead Things,” the second time it was Jonathan using a glamour and no one actually died.
Anya—I think “Hell’s Bells” counts as a dream since Xander didn’t actually go to another reality. Also it’s never confirmed about whether or not Xander killed her—he asked what happened. Also Anya/Anyanka didn’t die in “The Wish,” she just lost her power center.
Tara—She only died in “Seeing Red”
Bonus: Potentially Dead
Put the following Potentials in the order in which they died, starting with the earliest.
Annabelle –from the first group of potentials, she was the first person killed by an Uber-Vamp
Chloe –died at her own hands after some encouragement from The First
Molly –the British potential, died during the raid on the vineyard
Amanda –the potential who went to SHS with Dawn, died during the final attack on the Hellmouth